Music is a big part of your big day: it provides the soundtrack to the most important day of your life. The wedding songs you choose will set the tone of your day from the second you start that long walk down the aisle until the last note of the last song of the night. With all that pressure, figuring out the right songs to play can seem like a challenge… but fear not! We’re here to help by providing some musical inspiration that will help you hit just the right notes for every part of your wedding day.
While some couples choose traditional love songs that everyone knows and loves (yes, Ed Sheeran, we know you’ll be loving us till we’re seven-ty), that same old, same old isn’t for everyone. So, for the couples that want to shake things up and think outside the box but aren’t sure where to start, here are 30 unique wedding songs that are sure to stand out.
The planning, decision-making, and nerves have all lead to this moment! This is when everyone will set eyes on you for the first time and for some, when the waterworks start flowing. The song you choose should perfectly capture how you feel about the person you’re about to marry.
- “XO”, John Mayer: Between the harmonica, acoustic guitar, and Mayer’s soulful voice, this cover of Beyoncé is a perfect song to walk down the aisle to.
- “Better Together”, Jack Johnson: Johnson is known for his happy-go-lucky lyrics that hit you right in the feels – and this song about how it’s always better when you’re with your significant other is no exception.
- “First Day of My Life”, Bright Eyes: This ode to love describes how your life truly begins when you finally meet your person.
- “Here Comes Your Man”, The Pixies: For the couple looking for an upbeat event from the get-go, this sunny Pixies song fits the bill.
- “Real Love”, Tom Odell: While “Here Comes the Sun” is often the go-to Beatles song played at weddings, this track is just as romantic. Odell’s stripped-down cover is just right for a walk down the aisle.
- “Falling Slowly”, Glen Hansard and Marketa Irglova: A gorgeous acoustic song about meeting and falling in love with your soul mate – could it be any more perfect?
- “The Book of Love”, The Magnetic Fields: This indie classic describes the depths of love in a marriage and how love always endures.
The ceremony is over – and you’re finally married! As you exit the ceremony, you’ll want to choose an upbeat, happy, and lively song that encourages your guests to share in your joy.
- “Brighter Than the Sun”, Colbie Caillat: The definition of a happy, upbeat song.
- “I Was Made For You”, She & Him: A tune that sounds like a 60’s pop song but was released in the mid 2000’s, this song is bubbly and sweet.
- “You’ve Got the Love”, Florence + The Machine: Florence’s take on this dance classic starts slow and builds to a picture perfect recessional song.
- “Everything Is AWESOME!!!”, Tegan and Sara + The Lonely Island: This silly song from the Lego Movie is completely ridiculous but if not now, then when? Nothing will ever be more awesome than this moment!
- “Pumpin Blood”, NONONO: With a catchy whistling hook, this optimistic song embodies the fun feel your recessional should be going for.
- “11th Dimension”, Julian Casablancas: A bouncy synth-pop tune from the front man of The Strokes.
- “Everything Now”, Arcade Fire: If ABBA decided to make an indie record, this would be it.
Your first time being introduced as a married couple is super exhilarating – and you’ll want a song that conveys that excitement and gets your guests hyped for the party!
- “Let’s Dance”, David Bowie: An instantly recognizable classic.
- “Heads Will Roll”, Yeah Yeah Yeahs: A synth line for the ages. Karen O and the Yeah Yeah Yeahs are Brooklyn personified.
- “Get It”, Matt and Kim: This enthusiastic dance track is sure to get heads bopping and feet tapping.
- “Touch the Sky”, Kanye West: We miss the old Kanye.
- “Pump It Up”, Elvis Costello: An old school track from the OTHER Elvis.
- “Whole Lotta Love”, Led Zeppelin: That guitar riff… legendary.
- “Take Me Out”, Franz Ferdinand: Relive your college days with this loud, fun, and catchy track that was all the rage in 2004.
- “Electric Love”, BORNS: A glam-rock take on a familiar feeling.
First Dance Songs
Your first dance as a married couple can be a sentimental moment – or it can be an upbeat dance! You should choose a song that works for you both, whether it’s an old favorite or something new that speaks to you and the love you have for each other.
- “Let it Be Me”, Ray LaMontagne: A slower alternative to the more well-known “You Are the Best Thing” (also a great tune), this track about being there for the person you love is guaranteed to make you feel all warm and fuzzy inside.
- “You’re My Best Friend”, Queen: You just married your best friend – and this cheerful song by the legendary band is a great way to celebrate that!
- “The Luckiest”, Ben Folds: With lyrics that describe feeling truly lucky to have found the person you want to spend the rest of your life with, this song is a first dance no-brainer.
- “Do You Realize??”, The Flaming Lips: This song is all about living in and loving the moment you’re in.
- “Sea of Love”, Cat Power: Power’s floaty voice lends itself perfectly to this simple yet emotional cover.
- “Baby I’m Yours”, Arctic Monkeys: Britpop with a dash of doo-wop.
- “This Year’s Love”, David Gray: This piano-driven song is about falling hard for someone – and wanting that love to last forever.
- “Just Breathe”, Pearl Jam: From a band known for their rock anthems, this acoustic change of pace is a hopeful song that encourages us to appreciate all of the love in our lives.